Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d104357061/htdocs/prbc/wp-content/plugins/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
This post is a result of joking around on Teh Twitters with Josh Sternberg, who pointed out that social media, God bless it, has a tendency to get blown way, way out of proportion in terms of, well, everything. Of course there are some things that the deserve the hyperbole–you know, like the snowmaggedeon/snowpacolypse. But being the pragmatic, rational people we are, when we see people make overblown statements it just makes us wonder, “Hmm, what’s the real message behind this message?”
Examples of things people might tell you about social media:
1. You should capitalize the phrase Social Media.
2. Social Media will save your floundering industry.
3. You will make a ton of money with Social Media.
4. Social Media Experts will help you rake in all those piles of money.
5. Jesus, Moses, and Elvis would use Social Media if they were still with us. (Actually that would be pretty rad. But whatever, it would also be rad if dinosaurs used Facebook; doesn’t mean it’ll happen.)
Do you want to know what social media really is?
1. Social media is a way to talk with people. Do you like people? And talking? You might like this.
2. Social media is a tool, just a piece of the communications puzzle.
That’s it. That’s all. Can you use another way of talking to people as part of your business? Of course. Just don’t overthink it, or fall for someone who tells you that the only way to do use it correctly is this way or that way.
Just something to think about when you think about the future.
[reus id=”6″][recent posts]