The most fascinating aspect of Twitter is that you can literally find millions of different people with personalities that span the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. I love it.
One thing that I’m always keen on studying and writing about is narcissism and ego in social media. So I came up with a little quiz to determine whether or not you are a Twitter snob. Please keep score as you go along.
1) Have you ever muttered the words or a variation of “Eww, he only has 800 followers.” ??
- It was more like only 300 followers.
2) I only follow back if you are in my field of work.
- It entirely depends on what else the person might offer.
3) I follow back if your avatar is good looking.
- I mean, good looking can’t hurt, but I don’t entirely base it off that.
4) I have visited Twitter friends in a different city than my own and…
- I made an e-vite for an event and sent it to 50 local people.
- We had a great time just hanging out at a bar in the city.
- It was a great event…one of the locals organized it but…It was slightly embarrassing, but still nice of him to do..
5) I love RT-ing people when they compliment my blog post.
- I’ve done it before but don’t make a habit of it.
6) I have met a fellow Twitter user in-person who I didn’t yet follow and we hit it off, had a ton to talk about and work in the same industry. I told them I would follow them back and…
- Didn’t follow them back.
- Of course I followed them back!
- I followed them back but only tweet with them when totally appropriate. Not too often…
7) I’ve tweeted my follower number.
- I have. It happened like, once. I was at 999 followers and I just wanted that one that would push me over to 1,000
If you answered mostly 1 – You are a TWITTER SNOB. You should work on conversing, collaborating and building a Twitter community and stop thinking/talking so much about how AWESOME you are.
If you answered mostly 2 – You are a cool cat. You get it. You are on Twitter to build a community, find resources, explore new relationships and other productive wonderful things. Keep up the good work! And don’t let your growing follower count also grow your ego.
If you answered mostly 3 – You’ve got an OK balance. You know you are quite sweet (why the heck else do you have 2,000 Twitter followers??), but you are realistic and somewhat humble about your social media presence. I applaud you.
[reus id=”6″][recent posts]