You won’t believe it.
It’s still out there. The dreaded auto-dm. As long as the scourge exists we shall continue to post our “best” finds in our
five-year never-ending mission to explore strange new worlds make this a better SM world… (and in case you need ‘em – part I and part II).
- “Thanks for following me! I wish you a lot of pleasure when reading my tweets…” – This one was user submitted, with the comment, “I feel like I need to shower.” I do believe that covers it.
- Thank you for following us. Please LIKE us on Facebook too. [link] – Sadly, this one was from a PR agency. Do I really need to go into why this…sucks?
- Hi, nice to meet you. What’s your favourite book? – This one’s interesting in that it attempts to be personable…yet is obviously personable to everyone who gets it. I do enjoy books, but never mention as much in my bio or elsewhere so basically this boils down to a socially awkward auto-dm.
- Hi,Thanks for following.LIKE our Facebook page,get insights about wisdom of crowds. [link] – LIKE I’ll totally rely on this data presented this way. I got a bridge to sell, wanna buy?
- Thanks for following me. If you want to make money on Twitter check this out: [link] – And this was from someone trying to sell SEO services. Ummm…
- [Username], Powered by @[CorpUsername] with tweets mostly written by @[RealPersonUsername] – I’m all for full disclosure of corporate accounts, but that kind of info should really be in a bio…not in an auto-dm. Know what should be in an auto-dm? (Psst, it’s a trick question).
- Hi there, thanks for the follow. You can find out more about me at [link] – Not horrible…but they hadn’t tweeted for over a month – if I wanted to know more about you, perhaps use this platform…
- Thank you for joining this conversation on business communications, careers, universities and aid to the world. [FirstName] – And here I thought I just followed a guy. Who knew I was doing all that? Go me!
- 29 May 2013 : Agency Outreach Gone Wrong: And How to Avoid It
- 6 May 2013 : Knowing Your Audience: How PR Agencies Need to be Careful Choosing Customers
- 30 April 2013 : Get Geoff Livingston’s Welcome to the Fifth Estate Free
- 19 April 2013 : Auto-tweets, Kawasaki and Takedowns: The Ugly Side of Social
- 15 April 2013 : 2013: The Year that Social Media Will Run out of Kool-Aid